CelticThunder Blog

Welcome to FLCeltsFan's Celtic Thunder blog. I plan to list a very eclectic variety of posts here concerning both of my favorite teams and especially my favorite player- Kendrick Perkins. I hope you will enjoy your visit and come back soon.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Ever-Quotable Perk

Perk is always good for a great quote.  His honesty and earnestness when he talks has always been one of the things I appreciate most about him.   When he was asked about the critics who have questioned his play this year, he had this to say:
“They didn't have to go through two off-season surgeries, either,” Perkins said. “I mean, they're going to say what they want to say. But at the end of the day I know what I'm doing. So whatever. Just check my winning percentage since I been here.”
You can't deny what he says. Just look at a tale of 2 teams. The Celtics were on the way to a strong playoff run and at the top of the standings in the East when Danny traded Perk. They had been to 2 finals in 3 years and would have had 2 championships if it wasn't for Perk's injury in game 6 of the 2010 Finals. Since the trade, the Celtics haven't made it back to the finals once. The Thunder on the other hand were on the cusp of becoming a good team. They hadn't made it to the Finals, but were a great young team. Add Perk. They've been to the Finals twice and are contenders to make it there again. Perk's contributions might not always appear in the box score under points or rebounds but they can be seen in the W/L column. Perk is a winner. He doesn't care if he gets the stats. He just goes out and does it. He sets picks so his teammates can get open to score. He defends the basket to keep the other team from scoring. He boxes out so teammates can get to the hoop to grab the rebounds. He gives leadership. He is the enforcer. None of that will appear as a number in the box score under his name. But all of that leads to a W in the record books. Perk added this about his contributions:
“I’m just trying to do my job, man,” he explained. “It’s not a team where I’m going to be coming out here getting 10-plus points a night. I know that. So I just try to find different ways to get involved in the game, whether it’s picking up full court with (Russell Westbrook) to locking up the best post player that they got on their team. So I just try to come out and have an effect on the game.”
And have an effect on the game he does and you'll see it in the Thunder's 14-4 record and .778 winning percentage.

No comments:

Post a Comment